Our second Enterprise Zone, comprising 10 new sites, builds on the success of our previous activity enhancing opportunities around making, trading and innovating.
The North East LEP ambition, is for innovation-led growth, with a particular focus on areas of ‘Smart Specialisation’. This underpins the investment with our sites intended:
- to continue to attract investments which can build our manufacturing and export intensity; increasing supply of sites ready for commercial business development and generate growth and employment; and
- to build the presence of complementary research, development and innovation assets to support long term productivity by driving growth in our local SME base and attracting inward innovation engagement.
Smart Specialisation refers to the areas of activity where the North East has a specific national and international advantage in terms of research capabilities, business strengths and relevant infrastructure, which provides a strong foundation and environment for growth in comparison to other areas.
The North East LEP has identified four Smart Specialisation areas to focus on for the area:
- Passenger vehicle manufacture
- Subsea and offshore technology
- Life sciences and healthcare
- Creative, digital, software and technology based services.
Enterprise Zone status completes this offer, making the North East attractive to investors looking to grow in these areas.
Looking to invest, or just want to find out more? Visit the Birmingham Enterprise Zone website here.
- Passenger Vehicle Manufacture
- Subsea and Offshore Technology
- Life Sciences and Healthcare
- Digital, Software and Technology
The proposal new North East Enterprise Zone covers 175.4 hectares and will deliver a further 589,000m2 of business space over the 25 years of the sites, with a start date of April 2017. Our sites are located across 10 locations.
Ramparts Business Park, Berwick
Follingsby Business Park, Gateshead
North Bank of the Tyne extension
Holborn Riverside, South Shields
Newcastle International Airport Business Park, Newcastle
Ashwood Business Park, Ashington
Port of Sunderland, Sunderland
International Advanced Manufacturing Park (IAMP)
Hawthorn Prestige Business Park, Murton